Monday, November 05, 2007

Apology, explanation, and a reality check.

Just thought I would check in and say hello. I want to apologize to all of my friends who I have not called back.. and for emails that have not been returned. I have been so very busy with trying to keep up on the boys school, keep up with housework, and make arrangements for the church play that is in 2 weeks. I help with the scenery, props, etc.. and assist with costumes, make up, etc.. and anything else that needs to be done.

Last week I spent 27 hours at a first time moms house while she labored, and ended up in the hospital with c-section. The 2 days after that were spent trying to do what I wasn't home to do.

The last few home births I have attended have all ended in transports to the hospital. No medical emergencies or anything horrible...just lack of progress at home, and the moms need help because they were physically and mentally exhausted. Home birth is only for low risk, uncomplicated births. Once there is anything abnormal or risky...we take them to the hospital right away. This has happened to the last 3 moms. They all resulted in healthy babies, and happy mama's. But it is discouraging to watch these poor women who have their ideas and dreams of what home birth will be like, crushed by the reality of a medical birth. I have been pretty lucky so far, with all of the other births I have attended, until these last 3, about 99% of them were beautiful, uncomplicated home births. I guess this is just my reality check.

5 comments:

Stephanie Wilson she/her @babysteph said...

Oh, so sad that there had to be transports, but wonderful all is ok! I haven't attended a birth yet and REALLY want to someday! I can't imagine 27 hours... WOW.

Steph

Christine said...

My first birth was 33 hours. I was trying to homebirth unattended (with just hubby). (yes , I am a wee bit crazy and I had no idea what I was getting into.) After 24 hours, I transferred because I was worn out. If I had been as educated about birth as I am now, I think I would have been more mobile during labor. First births are hard! I hope I can be some encouragement for you because I tried to homebirth, and it did not work out, but this past time, I was successful.(in regards to your clients) It was that much sweeter because I knew what the whole hospital ordeal was like. Blessings!

Staci said...

All three of these first time moms had labors that were well over 24 hours long. All of them had days of "pre" labor or prodomal labor. So by the time they got around to the real thing they were exhausted. Two of the three were given c-sections. One had a vaginal birth.
They were all learning experience for me. I am just thankful that all of the mothers, and babies are doing well.
By the way..all 3 of them plan to have a home birth next time around. :)

Staci

Talena said...

If only we could write and direct our own lives.

Actually, that probably wouldn't be so great, in the long run.

Hope you get some refreshing time for yourself, soon. Hug.

Michelle said...

Oh, that's a bummer to have a run on transports. From what I hear, that seems to be how it goes. Most of the births I've been to have involved nuchal hands for some reason.

Here's hoping the next birth is a smooth, lovely birth. :)